Applications should consist of ONE single-spaced PDF document containing all the required sections in the order they are outlined below. No additional attachments will be accepted. Please label application sections according to the section headers included in these guidelines. Font should be 12 point and non-condensed, and margins should be at least 1 inch. Applications that do not meet the formatting guidelines, including stated page limits, will not be reviewed.
Abstract (limit 1 page)
Concisely describe the study’s focus, specific aims, methodology, and long-term objectives. Describe how this study is relevant to the NSA’s mission which focuses on Community, Advocacy, Support, and Education in stuttering.
Research Plan (limit 8 pages)
- Specific Aims and Significance: Provide an overview of the literature and describe the specific aims of the proposed research. Discuss the significance and need for this study. Emphasis should be placed on the potential impact of the study’s activities on our knowledge of stuttering in the areas of Community, Advocacy, Support, and/or Education as they relate to the NSA’s mission.
- Design and Methodology: Provide a description and justification for the study design. Include participants, data collection, data analysis, reliability, and pilot data (if applicable).
- Facilities and Resources: Describe the facilities, resources, collaborative relationships, and participants available to you for carrying out the proposed study.
References and Appendix (limit 6 pages)
- The Appendix section is limited to blank data collection tools and materials such as interview guides, blank questionnaires, and/or blank scoring sheets. Content that is a continuation of one of the application sections is not permitted in the Appendix. Applications include nonallowable information in the Appendix will not be reviewed.
Management Plan (limit 2 pages)
Describe study activities, timelines, and dissemination plans for research results. The study start date will be January 10, 2022.
Itemized Budget (limit 2 pages)
Create an itemized budget for the project including detailed justification for each item. Funding for travel to conventions is prohibited. Institutional overhead and indirect costs are not permitted.
Investigator Biographical Sketch (limit 5 pages)
Provide an NIH-style biographical sketch. A form and sample are available on the NIH website.
- If your study already has IRB approval, include the consent form(s) and a copy of the approval letter in your submission.
- If your study currently does not have IRB approval, your application should include the following (limit 3 pages):
- Describe the characteristics of the participant population, including the anticipated number, age range, gender, ethnic background, and health status.
- Identify sources of research materials in the form of specimens, records, and/or data.
- Describe plans for the recruitment of participants and the consent procedures to be followed.
- Describe the potential risks to participants (e.g., physical, psychological, social, legal, or other).
- Describe the procedures for protecting against or minimizing potential risks to participants, including risks to confidentiality.
- Discuss why risks to participants are reasonable in relation to the anticipated benefits and to the importance of possible resulting knowledge.